Tuesday, August 5, 2014

An Altered Clock and a Love Tag

Hello everyone, and welcome to the ID blog. It's Julianne here, and today I am sharing two projects with you - both created from one set of papers (Webster's Pages Strawberry Fields). 

Let's start with the altered clock. It's amazing what you can find and create for $7. I found this vintage style alarm clock at Kmart and decided it was perfect for an alteration. From a plain black clock, to a unique altered piece of art. And yes, it does actually work - it has to since it's new home is going to be my bedroom. 


I started by pulling the whole clock apart. Using Webster's Pages Strawberry Fields, I covered the clock background in pale blue, added three lines of coloured rhinestones to the outside edge, then layered fussy cut flowers and strawberries around the outer edge. 


Next, I took the large Imaginarium Designs clock face and covered it with black ink, before adding black glitter embossing powder. Once heated and set, I adhered the clock face to the centre of the alarm clock using Helmar's Liquid scrap Dots. 

To finish of the clock face, I added an embossed butterfly (red glitter embossing powder) to the clock minute hand. Yes it works - it goes completely around the face with the butterfly attached. 


The top of the clock needed more height and a background for the flowers, so I embossed an art deco corner with Stampendous Black Embossing Enamel. I love that is such a gorgeous mix of black and gold - so very vintage and aged. I then adhered the art deco corner to the top of the clock with Helmar's 450 Quick-Dry Glue. 


Then the fun part began - adding lots of flowers, vines, trinkets, and little details. I also included a smaller embossed butterfly to balance the large one on the clock minute hand. 


To complete my project I actually painted most of the flowers with Dazzling Diamonds Glimmermist, and then added a Prima pearl flourish down the side of the clock. I actually coloured the pearl flourish with copics to get the desired colour (it was originally pale pink). 

IMAGINARIUM DESIGNS PRODUCTS USED:


 CODE: IDT0014 Four Small Butterflies


CODE: IDS0006 Clock Face 3 inches


CODE: IDC0001 Embellishment 1 (Corners)

Now, I'm not one to waste pretty paper, and after all that fussy cutting for the alarm clock, I had lots of little pieces left over. What's a scrapper to do??? Make a tag, of course!


I started by colouring the tag with red, black and gold mists. To help the tag pop, I inked the edges with balck ink. While the ink was still wet, I randomly, and very lightly, sprinkled on some gold glitter embossing powder around the edge, and set it with the heat gun. Next, I took the large Art Deco frame and embossed it with black embossing enamel, before adhering it to the tag with Helmar Liquid Scrap Dots. 

I then added a large gorgeous red rose to the centre of the art Deco frame. Finally, I took all my fussy cut bits and pieces and randomly tucked them in around the frame and rose.  


Finally, I took the word "LOVE" and covered it with black and gold spray inks, and while still wet, I lightly sprinkled on some gold glitter embossing powder. I added a blast of hot air to set the powder and dry the ink, before adding a dash of glue to the back, and adhering the word to the centre of the rose.

Lastly, I took a gem trinket and attached it to the bottom of the Art Deco frame so that it dangled over the bottom edge of the tag.  

IMAGINARIUM DESIGNS PRODUCTS USED:


CODE: IDW0036 Love Cherish Adore (Small)


CODE: IDD0027 Denise's Art Deco Frame (Large)

Thank-you so much for stopping by and joining me today. I really hope you have enjoyed my projects, and that I have inspired you to save all those little bits and pieces, and to get the most out of your papers.

And don't forget to leave a comment and a little love so that you can automatically be entered into the draw to win an Imaginarium Designs bag of goodies. You never know - you might be our next lucky winner!!! 

If you would like to view more of my work, please visit my blog: JULES THE BLING PRINCESS

Cheers and Hugs, xxx
Julianne. 


13 comments:

  1. Julianne this is stunning ...thanks so much for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Kerrie. You are very welcome - I hope I can provide you with more inspiration next month too. :)

      Delete
  2. jules We have done it again, I have an altered clock for the 22nd, But I love yours and the cute tag. Great minds think a like.lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful clock and
    tag! Lovely work.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have entered a comment regardless of the contest. Both the clock and tag are stunning. I love the choices you made in decorating them. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. STUNNING clock and tag Julianne - LOVE the bold black chippies contrasted with your cheery papers, flowers & bling!!! The corner flourish, clock face & frame you have used look fabulous and I found it interesting that you used some of my favourite adhesives to hold them in place ... time to confess that I'm a Helmar addict too :)
    I do have one question, does your clock still work? My father collects clocks and with his birthday & Father's Day coming up, I was thinking that this would be the perfect gift.'
    THANK YOU for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shared with my crafty friends, some came to visit for the blog hop, hoping more will drop by today, here and on FB too :)

      Delete
    2. Tracy, I'm a former Helmar DT member, so I am well and truly addicted, lol! Love their stuff. And yes, my clock still works. :)

      Delete
  6. Absolutely incredible. I am truly blown away by your artistry. I only create like this in my dreams.Your notes about how you did this are fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I al thrilled to share such beauty with my friends on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank-you Tatiana, and thank-you you for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth, never give up on those dreams - I started out the same way about 8 years ago. It all comes down to practice. And it was my pleasure to share this with you - I love helping to inspire other crafters. <3

    ReplyDelete