Steampunk goggles and Rusty Relic Journal
By Sue Smyth
This month I have some quirky projects, a set of goggles and a rusty journal, for you all.
I love a steampunk look and saw some goggles in Tasmania
on one of my trips there.
But I wanted to make my own, so visited the local Bunnings for
a pair of welding goggles, (a cheap pair).
So to begin, I adhered plastic gems and brads to the outside
The brads worked well as the plastic of the goggles
was not easy to adhere things too.
Then I have added cogs and microbeads, even a chess piece and a bottle cap. To create the the surface, I have painted it all black with gesso first, then with teal dylusions paint. Then I have added
metallic shine with turquoise inka gold, with a last
layer of copper and Vintage gold Art Alchemy wax.
I had some cute dragon eye cabochons to include as
an eye, and mixed in some gold rhinestones.
To finish I have flicked a slurry of turquoise chalk paint over the surface for a patina look. Instead of the elastic band around the head I cut it off and added bronze chain.
It make not be practical anymore but I like it as a decoration lol.
Next is my project is featuring Viva Decor rust
I had an old journal that I had started and then
abandoned as I was not happy with it.
Later I came back to it, added the cool resin face and clustered around lots of relic style trinkets, which once painted
with black gesso gave me a fresh surface to start again with.
I love the alphabet title, it has had the rust medium painted
on it too. But I have rubbed turquoise inka gold to the top and
Vintage gold wax to the bottom for an ombre look
with a difference.
I have tucked copper seed beads in and around
the trinkets, adhering down with
Here I have used the turquoise inka gold, mixed
with lots of water to flick over the surface, for a
more corroded look. Use a fan brush
to get the best results.
In the end I was happy that I salvaged a project
destined for the bin, and it did not take too long
once I got started.
I hope it has inspired you to get rusting.
Here is a few of the chipboard shapes I used