Friday, September 21, 2018

Rusty Relic and some Steampunk fun by Sue Smyth

Steampunk goggles and Rusty Relic Journal 
By Sue Smyth 

This month I have some quirky projects, a set of goggles and a rusty journal, for you all.




I love a steampunk look and saw some goggles in Tasmania 
on one of my trips there.
But I wanted to make my own, so visited the local Bunnings for 
a pair of welding goggles, (a cheap pair).


So to begin, I adhered plastic gems and brads to the outside
The brads worked well as the plastic of the goggles 
was not easy to adhere things too.


Then I have added cogs and microbeads, even a chess piece and a bottle cap. To create the the surface, I have painted it all black with gesso first, then with teal dylusions paint. Then I have added
metallic shine with turquoise inka gold, with a last 
layer of copper and Vintage gold Art Alchemy wax.


I had some cute dragon eye cabochons to include as 
an eye, and mixed in some gold rhinestones. 

\

To finish I have flicked a slurry of turquoise chalk paint over the surface for a patina look. Instead of the elastic band around the head I cut it off and added bronze chain. 
It make not be practical anymore but I like it as a decoration lol.


Next is my project is featuring Viva Decor rust 
products.
I had an old journal that I had started and then
abandoned as I was not happy with it.


Later I came back to it, added the cool resin face and clustered around lots of relic style trinkets, which once painted 
with black gesso gave me a fresh surface to start again with.


I love the alphabet title, it has had the rust medium painted
on it too. But I have rubbed turquoise inka gold to the top and 
Vintage gold wax to the bottom for an ombre look
with a difference.


I have tucked copper seed beads in and around
the trinkets, adhering down with 
dimensional magic.


Here I have used the turquoise inka gold, mixed
with lots of water to flick over the surface, for a 
more corroded look. Use a fan brush
to get the best results.


In the end I was happy that I salvaged a project
destined for the bin, and it did not take too long
once I got started. 
I hope it has inspired you to get rusting.


Happy Crafting 




Here is a few of the chipboard shapes I used 









1 comment:

  1. Wow Sue, another 2 stunning project - just love the steampunk goggles. Thanks for creating these and sharing them here.

    ReplyDelete