Friday, July 21, 2017

Christmas in July,
Birds and Bugs 
By Sue Smyth 

It is always a good idea to get ahead of the Christmas rush, so 
what better way than to make a Christmas in July project. 




If you are like me you have bucket full of Christmas photos.
Some good some not so good, this little mini pocket 
album is just the ticket, it holds 100 photos, so 
has swallowed up a lot of my excess Chrissy shots.


I have covered the surface of the book with 
scrunched tissue paper, adhered with 
gel medium. Over the top I have added
imaginarium chipboard corners.
Then spray with turquoise glimmer style mist, for extra
glimmer I have applied iridescent medium with 
a fan brush to give a transparent glaze.


I love to team red with turquoise, so a poinsettia flower
surrounded by natural seed pods, gives a great 
woodsy christmas feel.
To frost them dab a little white gesso over top.


I have embossed the chipboard window with aged
gold embossing powder and then 
spritzed with White linen Dylusions 
to give a kind of snow look.


I have made a simple scroll and stamped with a greeting to 
finish the front. 




Well enough of Christmas lol. Back to bugs.
These cute little post it note books
are just begging to be altered.
And make a great small gift.

They are the perfect size for the plastic bugs.
Again it is so easy to apply tissue paper scrunched
up over the cover with gel medium. Add
your chipboard corners.
Paint with black gesso and when dry
paint with your favourite colour
of Dylusions paint.

Then rub over inka gold, turquoise,purple cobalt and gold to finish.


Once the cover is altered, layer up more 
chipboard, trinkets and bugs.
Here I have gold foiled the chipboard 
with the Go press and foil machine.


The bug is painted with black gesso
then 2 contrasting colours of inka gold
is applied with your finger tip.
Dry off then add a final layer of gold inka to 
blend the bottom colours together.

Last post I shared this little bird that I made 
for Jane, so she could display it at the June Expo 
here in Brisbane. Jane
had lots of faux birds and during the 
expo asked me to make up a sample with 
the white feathered swan!!!


So here is what I came up with, remember
I had about 2 hours and limited materials 
as that night I was staying in town. 
So I went shopping and scrounged a piece of 
chicken wire. 


And came up with a gothic swan, my inspiration 
was the movie the Black Swan, I have not seen it
but the title gave me the idea of a swan like a ballerina.


I have twisted a vine and added turquoise beads to the 
chicken wire "nest"


The crown is a trinket that has been cut down and adhered
to the head.


To alter the swan, I have painted with black gesso
and dried it off. Then apply
turquoise, cobalt and purple inka gold to 
the surface. When dry add gold paint (or inka gold) 
to the surface to blend in all the colours.


I have bent a trinket to cover the front of the 
swan, so that if you take it off
the nest it is still pretty.



Happy Crafting 

No comments:

Post a Comment