Wednesday, February 22, 2017


Tiny Treasures
By Sue Smyth 


Hi bloggers
This time on the blog I am sharing a few small things.
My workshop is overflowing with lots of projects
so this year I am looking  at small projects, very small, as I
simply dont have the room for bigger projects.
So my first treasure is a tin, decorated with an eggshell
heart..I have called it " Be still my beating heart"!



The Styrofoam heart is covered with texture paste and 
then cleaned egg shell is set into it. I have 
added micro beads around the base and 
once dry I have then painted it with 
red paint and rubbed over with gold.



I have then altered an arrow, and I loved this effect so much I have done
more of them, that I will share with you below.



The trinket crown is adorned with tiny 
3mm or 2mm rhinestones and pearls.
When you are working small 
the thing to remember is the details matter.


Inside I have made a simple mini album, which
I have not filled with photos yet but will in time.


Under the heart is an ID Wendy 
frame that is embossed with Aged Gold 
embossing powder and spritzed with 
black dylusions while hot, for 
an even more aged look.


This is what the heart looked like raw.
You can see the eggshell is broken into
pieces to press into the texture paste.
It is a bit fiddly but worth the effort.
Then add the micro beads around the 
bottom to hide any rough edges.



More Arrow fun, I loved doing the wrapped arrow above
so much, I made more.
this one has a trinket butterfly on the flight.
and I have wrapped the shaft with red wire.
The head of the arrow is wrapped in gold metal shim
and then hammered to look aged. Rub 
a little black gesso over it to 
stick in the crevices. 


A large red jewel finishes the tip, along 
with a tiny crown and of course lots of 
2mm rhinestones.


The butterfly has more 2mm rhinestones and 
gold micro beads to add interest and texture.


He is another arrow, I have added a small 
metal arrow to the shaft, after
I have wrapped it with red 
cotton.


I have wrapped the head of the arrow the same as 
above, but this time added small details
and a large trinket corner underneath.
The flight has a metal skeleton leaf, which
I have cut up to resemble metal spikes.


These arrows can be a feature on another project (like the 
tin above) or even a pin or brooch. They are 
just a bit of fun to do and yes they dont
take up much room.


Here you can see what I have done with the 
arrow, first paint black.
then cover as much as you can with
metal shim, wire and rhinestones, 
with the goal being that you can no 
longer tell it is just chipboard.


The next little treasures are tags. Again this is 
a small project. I was cleaning out
my beading boxes and came
across lots of lovely small beads in the shape
of flowers, leaves and butterflies. 
I thought what a shame I do not use them more.


So I shifted them over to the scrapbooking section 
and now use them on all sorts of projects.


This tag uses the tiny ID bird cage,
it is simply embossed in aged gold 
so it looks just like a gold trinket itself.
I have added a tiny bracket frame and 
words too.


Here I have enameled the butterfly wings, I will 
have to share this in more detail in another post.
as I forgot to take photos for you all.(I get involved and forget lol)
I use a thick metallic paint and pearl drops to 
make a swirly pattern and then let dry.


The bead leaves look like green glass 
and  give a great detail and
shine to the tag.

Here I have added another small detail
the resin rose, which  I have made myself
with 2 part resin.



The tag base is simply painted black 
and then covered with old book pages, 
which have been trimmed with deckle scissors
and inked to add an aged look.

This is a great base to start layering 
tiny elements onto.




Happy Crafting !

3 comments:

  1. Love the arrows... the egg shells... the tiny tags... ok, I love it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are allowed to love it all Alison lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaawwwww SUE SMYTH ..... these are all just sooooo freakin AWESOME!! You are the Willy Wonka of the papercraft world and I am your biggest fan .... these are all off-the-charts adorable projects .... your creativity just blows my mind! And now with this new Bangalore web hosting company in your corner the world is quite simply at your feet!! <3 xo

    ReplyDelete