Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sue Smyth Imaginarium Post


The Eyes Have it boxes,
and Metamorphosis Frame
by Sue Smyth 



Hi Bloggers
                                 One of the things I like to make most is little boxes, they are
great for storage, gifts and decoration.


This time I decided to make them a little spooky
so I can use them at Halloween too. But not 
too spooky so that I could have them on display all year.


They always look good in groups or pairs, so 
I have added this small tin box with a dragons eye trinket.
I have layered paper towel over the tin and adhered it 
in place with gel medium. Then simply decorated 
the box along the same lines as the tutorial below.


I have started with a purchased box and built
up a platform of tissue and gel medium
so I could insert 2  dolls eyes in to it.


Then I have added the small cogs around the sides and
adhered in place with gel medium


On the sides I have adhered plastic trim and chipboard.
Both of these are very light weight items so 
will not add to the weight of the box ..something to 
consider when making a project like this.


Paint all over with Black gesso, getting into the cracks and crevices. 


Rub over the entire box with Graphite Inka Gold when
the Black gesso is dry.



Then add layers of other colour, I have used
purple and turquoise, and even a little green.


Finally add gold paint over the raised areas
with your finger tip to give a brighter 
finish.


I have double embossed the bracket frame for the top
with Stampendous Aged Gold emboss powder.
Then added 2mm gemstones from Couture Creations.
This just nestles over the top of the eyes to frame
them and hide the rough edges.
Add metal feet and a keyhole trinket, also some pearls and rhinestones
as accents and you are done.

Imaginarium Chipboard 



Metamorphosis



My next project is a small deep sided frame. I have 
made a statement piece called Metamorphosis.
I wanted to illustrate that things change, people, times and ideas.
We often burst through our restraints and become free.

I have sprayed the frame with matt black spray paint 
and rubbed over inka gold metallic paints.


The chipboard girl has been sprayed black too, and I 
have used Mega Flakes and flitter glue to gild the 
shape. 


The cage over her is chicken wire which I have 
embossed with fine gold embossing powder.


I made a little wreath with small flowers and wired 
stems.


The back ground is simply chipboard covered 
in paper towel, adhered in place with gel medium.
I have roughly painted it with white gesso and added the ornate
corners.


Then smear the middle with texture paste and insert
chips of egg shell( this also adds to the metamorphosis theme)



When dry paint the egg shell with gesso and spray with 
inks, I have used green glimmer mist and chocolate 
dylusions on the corner.


Rub gold paint over the textured background to 
highlight the chipboard and egg shell.


Paint the butterflies with Matt black spray paint and rub
over with inka gold mediums of your choice.


Layer over each other 


Add girl shape and trinket. and place in the centre of the frame.
Then add trinkets above and below the butterfly 
and decorate with the wreath, small bird cage, and birds
nest trinkets as you like.

Imaginarium chipboard 


Happy Crafting 



2 comments:

  1. Interesting and
    very creative pieces
    of art here.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJese are so awesome!! LOVE the eyes!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete